As a rural community, Hanwell is required to assume responsibility to provide certain services.

Current responsibilities:

  • Community services
  • Emergency management
  • Garbage and refuse collection and disposal (contracted to Trius Disposal Systems Ltd.)
    • Pickup is on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on your area.
    • Residents are advised to contact Trius with any concerns at 459-7300.
  • Land use planning (handled by Regional Service Commission 11)
    • Application forms for building permits, rezoning, subdivision etc. are available HERE
    • Building permits are also available at Hanwell municipal office.
    •  Residents are advised to contact RSC11 with any concerns or questions at 453-2956.
  • Recreational and sports facilities
  • Street lighting (in the Hanwell Street Light tax zone)

Under New Brunswick Municipalities Act Regulation 2005-97, Council may enact a By-Law pertaining to any service listed below. Until Council decides to assume a responsibility, any services that are provided are purveyed by the Department of Environment and Local Government (DELG) or the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTI).

Responsibilities that may be undertaken in future:

  • Drainage
  • Fire protection (currently contracted to Upper Kingsclear and Manners Sutton by DELG)
  • Housing
  • Industrial development and promotion
  • Land assembly
  • Non-fire related rescue
  • Parks
  • Police protection (currently contracted to RCMP by DELG)
  • Recreational and sports programs
  • Regulation of traffic (currently DTI)
  • Roads and streets (currently DTI)
  • Sewerage
  • Sidewalks (currently DTI)
  • Tourist promotion and development
  • Water

Residents are advised to contact DTI with any concerns at 453-2611, Mon-Fri 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.